The Perfect Recipe for Meatless Monday (It's Vegan & You Won't Miss The Meat!)
Welcome to the new year! You made it. Congratulations. 😉 I'm glad you're here. If you're feeling a little weighed down from all of the holiday gluteny (join the club), I have the perfect dinner recipe to jumpstart your healthy eating. It's currently my favorite meal, it's delicious, healthy, and filling, AND it's vegan! (You can always add your favorite meat if you must have landimals in it. My husband adds chicken, but I promise, you WILL NOT miss it. If you think you will, just claim this as a Meatless Monday favorite. Look at me being a problem solver.
Roasted Sweet Potato & Kale with Wild Rice and Pomegranates
This meal is low on structure, and by that I mean I don't measure anything. It really just depends on how much you want. We like leftovers so we cook a good amount of potatoes, but you can't mess the meal up. So, tweak to your liking.
- 2-3 sweet potatoes
- ½ sweet onion (less if onions aren't your thing)
- 6-8 oz kale (we generally dump out as much as we can until a large pot is full or about 5 hand fulls)
- 1 packet of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice, Long Grain & Wild
- olive oil
- Optional: pomegranate seeds as garnish
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- Slice onions then cut each slice into fours. You can cut them as big or small as you'd like, but smaller onions will burn while roasting. Set aside.
- Peel then cut potatoes into imperfect cubes (perfect cubes are hard & boring). This step can take a while so it's best to start well before everyone is hungry or prep beforehand.
- Mix onions and potatoes on a metal baking sheet, then generously drizzle olive oil on top. Mix with your hands to ensure all onions and potatoes are coated.
- Roast in oven at 450°F for about 30 min. About half way through, check the doneness of the potatoes and turn them to avoid any pan sticking (cuz that straight sucks!)
- While vegetables are roasting, add a large pot to the stove with just enough water to cover the bottom of the pot. Add salt, then kale. Heat to medium-high heat, cover the pot, and cook until kale is done to your liking. (You can also saute your kale, which is pretty yummy too!)
- If using the Uncle Ben's Ready Rice, prepare as instructed on the package, which only takes 90 seconds. If using a different kind of rice, prepare while potatoes and onions are roasting.
Let's Eat Shawty
- Once everything is done, make your plate!
- Add kale as the base.
- Add rice, then slightly mix the two together.
- Add the sweet potatoes and onions on top.
- Then add your pomegranates or garnish/sauce/topping of your choice.
- Thank me later. 😉